I have seen websites get hacked before and it can be a long hard process to get them back to a secure state. WordPress sites are the most hacked sites on the internet partly because WordPress is the most common tool used to build content management websites, 64% of all CMS websites are WordPress and partly because WordPress is an open platform and has more ways to hack into it.
Step 1: Prevention
Here 5 tips on what to do to prevent security breaches on your website.
- There are 3 main areas that you need to keep an eye on. 1 worpress itself, 2 Site theme, 3 plugins. Most security breaches come from plugin issues
- Reduce plugins. If you don’t need it, get rid of it. Even if you only use it once in a while, delete it and reinstall it when you need it.
- Usernames and passwords, use strong ones. Use the strong one they suggest, the one that contains letters numbers and symbols.
- Change the login page to something different than “/wp-admin”. There are plugins to help with this, search “Hide login”
- Install SSL certificate, seems obvious.
Step 2: Back up your site.
There are numerous plugins that will back up your site. The quickest and easiest way to get rid of a hacked site is to delete and restore it from a recent back up. Of course, you still need to find out how it got hacked in the first place.
We can do a full security audit on your site, please visit https://www.eauclairemedia.ca/ for more information.